Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nothing like the morning rain

Taking a deep breath this morning...doors and windows are open...nice cool breeze is moving through the house...birds are chirping...jays are squacking...

It's raining outside and I LOVE it when it rains. Of course, I don't like to be out in it unless I have my handy dandy hooded sweater on.  Maybe.

Of course, I can be one of those chicks that fears "I'mmm meelllltiiing...OHHHHHhhh IIIiiiIIImmmm mellllltinnnng...." and then my beautiful hair <cough> <cough> flattens on the top of my head. 

Dang! I should have used that frizz and humid-defying hair spray! Or is that glue????

Or, like the experience my daughter and I had visiting a lake in Arizona. We were watching some Canada Geese circle overhead as a thunderstorm was moving in. She and I had no place to run because the car was parked WAAAAAAYY over there. Thunder rolled in like an ocean tide. Lightning flahsed like a disco ball. Wind picked up like a heavy duty wind machine and the rain came down like we were standing under Sitting Bull Falls (nears Carlsbad, NM). We were getting drenched! We both stood in the cover of a thorny palo verde tree laughing our heads off, shivering, and squeeling with delight. It was the greatest thing ever!  Better than candy!  No. Better yet! Better than a Starbucks, no-foam, non-fat milk, 190 degree latte!  Make that a venti! 

She and I stood in the arms of the tree for a while. Not feeling too comfortable when a pokey thing sticks you in the rear. But, there were more hysterics (why must that sound like something that's NOT funny?) going on than ouch moments.

I don't know how long we stood there. But I know it had to be a while. She and I continued to laugh, jump up and down, holler and hoot, danced around the shoreline and about fell in a few times. Yeahh..I know...not supposed to be near water when there is lightning.  Well, if we were to die that afternoon then what a better way to go than to die while having an outdoor rain party!

The rain did not let up. Neither did we.

For nearly an hour we celebrated with the herons, egrets, geese, grackles, the mutt ducks, and every other bird that happened to be nearby.

So, you see, I can handle the rain. Even if it means I do get a little wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment